Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Driving Maraschino

Today I taught Maraschino how to move his FQ with driving. The carrot stick connected a few times before he got it but boy did that make him lick and chew - and then later yawn so much - the most I have seen him yawn. We even got a little sideways.

With Garbo we got 8m of backwards by the tail... tried turning him round the corner backwards too but he got confused! (awww)..

What else did we do.... lead by the leg and gave him a treat when he did it... that worked well. I used treats with Maraschino today too - it really made him relax a bit more with extreme friendly!! I can jump up and down with my hand on his wither (both sides and facing Zone 1, and Zone 5) about 30-40 times now....

2 comments:

Jen said...

What good boys you have, Vicki! And they have a lovely mum, as well. I wish we could have a meetup like you and Cilla. Coming to Chicago anytime soon? :) Love the idea of treats for extreme friendly. I guess I don't think of rewarding for friendly games, as that has always been a reward in and of itself (to stand still and rest and get a scratch) but I have to get out of the game rut and think of it as a pattern!! Desensitization! And then not to forget to balance it with sensitization exercises so they don't get dull. It's all a balancing act, isn't it? Did you ever find out what was freaking Garbo out so much the other night?

Unknown said...

Hi Jen
No - I didn't figure it out but hasn't happened again so that's good...