Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Wednesday - we rode today

Wow - nice to see that Viv from USA is reading my posts - I sometimes forget people find my blog (apart from the ones who I tell)! I kind of write it like I am writing for a large audience (lol) but I don't actually think anyone reads it! Thanks for your comments Viv and Cilla :-).

So - today we had a big groom - lots of itchy spots - I had left his cover off last night so he could have a good roll. Then we saddled up - all untied - rope hanging on the ground.

We started in the arena and I did follow the rail at walk a few times. He had a couple of little piddly shies but nothing too serious. I found that once I lifted my focus higher he went forward much better. (Learn something new every day don't you). I started with my carrot stick to try and stop the opposition reflex on some turns (if he doesn't want to turn that way) but because he was shying I needed both hands so dropped it. Why did i need both hands - well to do an effective one rein stop of course.

Then we tried going down the drive (away from stables, horses, barn) by ourselves but we got part way down the drive (that we got all the way down alone with me driving from Zone 3 the other day) and he just turned for the barn. Tried retreating and then going back - but he turned at the same spot each time.

Hmmmm - how interesting.

So - I was a tad annoyed so I said - ok fine we'll go into the arena again - but quickly got over it and decided to go into an empty paddock instead. Did a few point to points to the corners- but Garbo was getting crabby if I didn't give him a treat at every corner - and at one point tried to bite my foot - either that or get a fly - lol.

So - I decided to take charge and do a trot circle - he wasn't having it - so instead of getting more annoyed I decided to start with a walk circle first - what a good idea Vicki!!

After a couple of those without complaint we had a brief trot - and went out and turned left to go down the race. We started walking and the walking got fast so I asked for trot and then the trot got fast and next thing you know we are cantering down the race - it was great fun. Horses either side looking up going "what are those guys doing"?

We stopped at the end and I gave him a treat. We practised that a few more times and I rewarded him when he stopped with a light lift of the rein.

Then we went down the other race down to the babies paddock and then back - Garbo didn't head for the tie up area like he normally does so I left him have a graze beside the float park. All round this area both ways (it's all gravel) he squeezed through the gap between my car and float and the tractor and fence - as if to say - see my squeeze is getting better.

The ride was a disaster to start with but slowly improved as the ride went on.

Got back to the stable, left him untied, washed him and gave him some apples, took him back to the paddock - coverless again - backing him up through the gateway a few times.

When I arrived back with his dinner he came trotting over with his ears forward - very cute.

So - all in all - good day.

Didn't get to see Maraschino - sooo busy!

1 comment:

Cilla said...

woohoo! great to read how you pulled out those arrows when you needed them. a very good day.
cilla xxx