Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Backwards through a narrow space

Well we tried yo yo backwards through a stall gate again today and he was going left, going right, anything but straight through the gap (like it was going to bite him). So I sent him into the stall (and he found some hay!!) - he snuk a few bites lol..... then I asked for forwards part of the yo yo out - and he got stuck at Zone 1. Asking with more pressure caused him to pull back - I didn't release but kept the pressure on but walked forward a little - then I tapped him in zone 3 with the carrot stick and he came out. (I have been reading the old L2 booklets!!)

We tried it in the wash bay (wider and higher roof) - and he was fine.... so I sent him in again and tried coming forward just one step - then back - he rushed Zone 2-5 out and turned and faced before I could stop him.

After a while he didn't want to come forward because he knew I was going to stop him before he got all the way out.

Phew - tired just re-thinking about it. There was lots of licking and chewing - no snorting today.

Ok - so we left that for a bit and did some hill therapy..... Day 3.

Then we walked down the driveway with me in Zone 3 all the way - for the very first time.... he found lots of green grass and I allowed him to eat a few mouthfuls every now and again. By the end a kiss (smooch) noise was all it took to stop him grazing and walk on. He didn't even hit any thresholds.

So maybe I have really hit a confidence issue here..... yay.

So - leading back to the paddock (oh we did some sideways with more life up and down the hill along a fence - at about 12 feet I guess - I tagged him with the string on his butt when he didn't move. After reading the L2 booklet (Stage 1) and the Intro book - I have learned so much more....

1. Lack of positive reflex is from not starting at Phase 1 and or never getting to Phase 4
2. When you get to Phase 4 be assertive but not mean - life down again afterwards
3. You are aiming for no more than 4 ounces of pressure in all 7 games
4. New phase 1 is life up
5. Most people wiggle the rope for phase 1 yo yo - and not just their finger so not a true phase 1
6. Stand with your shoulder next to the fence/obstacle for Squeeze (facing your horse).
7. In the allow (circle) relax and smile. If horse breaks gait do something about it - but not before
8. In the send (circle) tag the zone that has not left the quadrant

And there is like 12 other booklets - !!

It tells you what level you should be with your 7 games before moving on to the next stage.
There is certainly alot more detail in these L2 booklets (like the L1 booklets that I missed so much after L1).

I would recommend anyone struggling with L2 to buy these booklets on EBay. You get them new. Just search Old L2 Parelli. Here's a link actually

So after all that - Garbo had resorted to his hugging of my knees and cuddling me routine which I find so hard to resist..... (he gets lots of kisses)....

I took him back to his paddock and tried backing him through the partly open gate (it was open about 4ft wide) - he went all crooked and tried to turn around again - so I sent him through then went into his paddock and backed him out the gate - twice. He didn't rush too much - it was a snappy back up - lots of chewing so I brought him in and gave him his carrots.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Oh, fantastic information and great job to you, too!

Thanks so much for that link. I have been enjoying level 2 (just came into it in November 07 after passing ground level one in Oct) and did find great info in L&HB pack.

But if the old level 2 has really good info...as long as it doesn't conflict with new stuff...that is fantastic info to have!

Thanks for that and I'm stealing some of your ideas for obstacle work!! :)

Hugs,
Viv