Monday, February 11, 2008

Phew what a day!

Well my new guy arrived about 10am and all my worries about him getting hurt or scared during loading and travelling were unfounded. He wandered slowly off the truck like a little kid arriving at a birthday party (a fairly shy kid).

Got the lady to put him in the square pen and she was really nice and waited for him to come down the ramp in his own time, and lead him round the round pen, got the travel buddy horse out also so he didn't panic. But he was so not panicking! I got him some hay and water and he was like 'cool - hay - thanks - munch'. She left the halter on and un-clipped the lead rope and walked out. I said - 'oh you forgot to take the halter'. She replied 'he doesn't know you - so you won't be able to catch him unless I leave it on'....

(deep breath Vicki)... "I'll be fine" I replied with a smile. Then I zig zagged over to him and calmly took his halter off and handed it back to her. That was such a cool feeling!

After I spent a little undemanding time with him in the pen, we added another youngster for him to play with and they weaved in and out of the barrels, trot poles, jumps and the play ball. Not a worry in the world.

Went away to get a coffee and leave him be for a while then when I came back I approached him again (this wee thing that is so hard to catch) - and put Blue's Parelli halter on him and he acted like he'd done it a thousand times. I did a little back up and lead forwards with very quick releases, a head down and release, some pick up your feet and released as soon as he tried...then a couple of turns where you out the rope over their head and along the outside of their body, round their butt and then apply steady pressure and they yield the other way and turn completely. He didn't panic and did it a step at a time - such a cool dude.

Then I led him to his new paddock - and he was so good - you know all the different surfaces, the gravel, the limerock, the grass... he didn't hesitate once. Good ole Stationbred hey!!

There he met his two new friends for a bit - Bob and D. A two and three year old. They followed him around for a bit - checking out the 'new guy' and then he looked exhausted and had a little sleep. I left him to it and went home for a bit.

Later in the day I rode Garbo - I really should have done some stuff on the ground first as he was very confused today - we would trot along the race and he would suddenly just turn sideways (facing the fence). He was a little hoppy - so I didn't push it - mainly stuck to walk. Garbo knew my direct line thinking for the day was to trot for 7 minutes all round the farm you see!

So I called it a day (mind you it was 5pm by this stage and we never normally ride at that time!) says Garbo


2 comments:

Jen said...

Is the paint your new horse, Vicki!? Beautiful! I have a special place in my heart for paints. :) Very nice. I know Blue is looking down from the rainbow bridge and whispering to him that he will be so happy with you!

Viv

Unknown said...

Thanks Viv - thats really nice - yes, he's the paint horse. Maraschino.