Sunday, October 24, 2010

Ponying the Paint



Two firsts today - I rode Garbo in the round pen for the first time (yes the Plovers have finally departed), and I ponied Maraschino for the first time... in the round pen for saftey sake.

Maraschino had to stop and poo twice (he couldn't possibly poo and walk at the same time) so I think it was quite a big deal for him. We started at walk round the rail and then added some stops and go again, and then a back up. Interestingly while trying to protect Garbo's space because Maraschino was holding his tail, (not literally) I shook Maraschino's lead rope and Garbo backed up!


I had never done this before so it was new for me too - ie which hand to you hold the lead rope in and how long etc. I soon got the hang of it. Luckily to two abrubt stops didn't give me rope burn and George was to the rescue to pick it up again for me, after his majesty had gone poop.

I decided to do more walk first so we did about 6 laps of the round pen I guess and ended on a really good note - nearly a whole lap of trot.

Garbo was an angel and Maraschino at one point raced on the rope on an upwards transition, Garbo kept going so I was being pulled backwards and to the left by Maraschino (and I didn't want to release on the brace) and Garbo was still going forwards like a good boy - George said I was practically out of the saddle but my body stayed up straight - and he trotted in the end and I was back in the saddle properly. As you can see I had my 'good' riding clothes on!

I could feel the muscles round my left ribs later so I think I correctly used my core which is great news for me.

George took 3 videos...
The first one is the very first trot off... and abrubt stop - I think he forgot he was attached to a lead rope.


2nd video things were going a little better...


And lastly even better - we continued on for a while after this before we trotted again....




Coco of course tagged along the whole time...



2 comments:

Cilla said...

You are definitely looking even more relaxed when riding. What a brilliant idea to pony Mr M.
I like the round pen and it's great that the plovers have finally gone so you can use it!
c x

Twinnie said...

As Cilla said - great idea to do what you have done. You are being so progressive - thanks for being an inspiration...
JXXX