Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Right brain behaviour

Just heard a grazer where I keep Garbo was riding tonight and her horse reared up and landed on her in the arena and she broke her pelvis. Yikes.

It has really rung home to me about the safety issues I learned in Level One now and the reason Pat and Linda say so often - don't get on your horse if he or she is showing any kind of Right Brain behaviour. My friend said that this particular horse was very agitated before the ride (RB), and told the rider to be careful.

Just goes to show you can't control a 600kg horse if it's in full blown right brain panic mode. No matter what bit you have, or how good a rider you are.

It's their nature - they are prey animals and are born that way.

Anyway - just spent some undemanding time with Garbo today. I was at one side of the paddock with him doing this and then I walked to the other to tidy up his hay - and he followed me.... so I stayed longer and watch him eat hay. Between each mouthful he was smelling my hair, my hair clip, my ear, telling me secrets - oh and trying to find those predator smelling gloves of mine which I was hiding from him (possum fur) - he snorts at those.!

No comments: