Sunday, August 5, 2007

Level 2 progress

Linda says in the DVDs that Level 2 is all about savvy. Fine tuning, reading your horses body language, controlling your own - and that it takes a lot longer - and that you will learn alot.

I learnt alot in Level 1 - but it was basic stuff - like cues really. If you do this - your horse will do this - and most times he did! (even more amazingly).

Level 2 has been like going from 5th form to 6th form certificate!

I have had several OMG moments already and I'm only up to the 2nd task!

Loading up to go today I decided to play the friendly game with the float. As I started to load and he hesitated I realised he'd never had the time to just chill out near the float...so we did lots of patting and smiling - and he cuddled his head into me. When he was ready we loaded - like a breeze.... (another learning moment)

Today we went to Royal Oak and I did my 2nd session in the round pen of undemanding time with Garbo. He just dozed after having a roll. I am really enjoying this time with him.

Then we practised transitions in the Circle Game. We got some nice up and down transitions on his easier side - the left - and some upwards ones to the right. I decided I was pleased with that and we stopped. Garbo came in and lowered his head to the ground (my feet) and stayed there for ages....

Then I took the 22ft line off and he just had his rope halter on. He had some hay in the round pen - he snacked on that while he watched me get the saddle and saddle pad from the car.

Then I groomed him (after his roll he was covered in sand) and he stood perfectly still and even seemed to enjoy it (no rope remember) - then I saddled him - and for the first time he didn't put his ears back when I put the saddle on - and he didn't take one step. I was so impressed.

Did quite a bit of pushing passenger lesson (L1) and Follow the Rail lesson (L1 also). This is all still amazing for me - riding with a rope halter and one rope! Tomorrow I plan to venture out of the round pen and into the arena!

No comments: