Friday, August 24, 2007

Loading

Had another up and down today - but it ended really well.

I had been reading the Oct 2006 article in the Savvy Times about the L2 student loading her horse. She was talking about taking 7 hours the first day until her horse was completely at ease - she said she never got angry or bored or frustrated and neither did her horse..... well this got me thinking - as well as Linda's words echoing in my head "do the opposite of what your horse expects you to do"....

Well Garbo usually loads well - he's not snappy about it - he dawdles and stops before the ramp - looks around - if I added any pressure like having a whip or CS in my hand or twirling the rope he would run off at 100 miles an hour - probably due to the fact that some 'helpful' yard owner when I was a brand new horse owner 3 years ago decided to beat up on him with the dressage whip until he got on (you know those people that think making outside the float/trailer as unpleasant as possible will make the horse want to go on)... that was before I knew better...

Ok - since then - he had loaded - albeit slowly and with me at his side all the way in. But he always rushes out backwards when we unload instead of taking his time and turning to the left and walking off (he can do that - he just forgets or panics)....

So since doing Parelli I have realised that we never played the Friendly Game with the trailer and that he was trying to tell me something - so I have been trying to listen. Last 4 times we have gone out he has paused and I have rubbed him, and he sticks his head under my arm.... or sticks his head down on the ground..... and if I take my time he then goes on after a long cuddle....

Today we went out to where there is a round pen and we filmed half of my L1 assessment. Then we had a little ride around with another horse (me in my halter and rope). Then he had some play time with this other horse as they were both loose in the round pen.

The other horse went home and we were about to load. He planted his feet and was not moving forward. We stopped for cuddles and a chat. Still nothing. Then he had a poo, I cleaned it away, more cuddles, I sat down in the float (holding on to end of rope) thinking - he won't expect me to do that!

Did some yo yo backwards, let him sniff the trailer inside - but the most he would come on was Zone one and Two. Tried squeezing him between the ramp and me - no problem..... tried loading - nope.

After 20 minutes to 1/2 an hour of the above - and others asking if I needed a hand??!! (I politely declined) - I decided a different approach was required.

We went back into the round pen and did transitions online walk trot and canter - I only had my 12ft line as we had been doing the L1 assessment video - gosh it seemed very short suddenly!. We did both directions. About 6 laps each way I guess....

Then led him back to the trailer and he went straight on!

What a day - but I was extremely pleased with it.

ps we got up to the saddling up bit before we had to call it a day for the filming - till next time.

No comments: