Friday, January 29, 2010

Muriwai Beach

Today Cilla was going to ride Annie on Muriwai Beach but I didn't really feel ready to get on Garbo - when we arrived he was tense (mind you there were no other horses in sight and he had not been there for like three and a half years).... so we just walked around and went over some logs and through tree gaps in the tie up area. The tie up area is really really huge now - hitching rails everywhere - it's very cool.

We had about 30 minutes before anyone else arrived but I knew he was not ready to ride - and wouldn't be - it was all too new for him. At one point I thought - gosh the two times I came her he was ok - but that was pre-Parelli and I bet he wasn't - I would have just been blind to it. No wonder so many people fall off.

So finally the others arrived and Garbo and I headed off on the 22ft to the beach through the access (deep sand track) - it took about 15 minutes on foot and he was leading the way all the way till about 3/4 way - where suddenly he could hear the waves.

He stopped. I asked him forward and he backed up fast - so we headed back to a safe point and waited for the others - it seemed like an eternity but finally the appeared. Garbo then followed the others with me in tow over the rise and down the sand dune to the beach.

He was unconfident but he trusted me - that's all that mattered for me today. We stopped with the others briefly and then they headed towards the water and along the beach and we just walked along - quite away from them. He was a bit unsure about the black sand lines coming from the shells in the sand, the tire treads and sometimes just the lines in the sand the wind had made. But he didn't stop or spook - just looked. He had two nervous poos though!

We got to the Estuary and he wasn't even interested in playing in the water - so the others went on and we headed back (alone). He was very keen to show me which way home was! But he didn't go faster and always stopped when I asked him to - keep coming to me but not walking into me.

At one point we actually joined up with his hoof prints from the way 'to' the estuary and he recognised them as his. He hauled me up the sand dunes (I was quite knackered by now) and waited while I trudged through the deep sand - he would take two steps and wait, two steps nd wait.

Back on the track he was not confident enough to graze again until the float was in sniffing distance. I tied him up for a rest and a think and had some water, then we headed home (3 hours after setting off).

I was really pleased with him today - and with myself for not riding. But also how confident he was just with me - completely on our own - walking away from other horses.

And the loading was fab too. Maraschino apparently had some little run arounds.


Twinnie said...

Well done for NOT riding!! There is always next time - think what success you are setting yourselves up for....

That is great that you have built your and his confidence up so much that he is ok on his own.

me X

Vicki said...

Thanks Jane :-)

Connima said...

Ditto what Jane said.

Well done for not giving in and getting on I am sure it was not easy.

Great way of getting fit all those sand dunes.