Monday, February 21, 2011

Lovely trip out with the big boys


I took Garbo and Maraschino to Jool's place again today. I had in mind riding Garbo and Maraschino was just along for the outing - one of his glands is a bit swollen, and there is an airborne virus going round at the moment. So I think I'll get some echinacea tomorrow.

I got the boys in with the plan on taking them both, then decided to leave Maraschino behind today, and un-haltered him - he didn't budge - the gate was open but he stayed standing next to Garbo - I tried to lead him out but he kept coming back so in the end I thought - Ok - I think he wants to come!

So off we went, leaving Coco Monster behind. He was really good.

Anyway - Michelle came too - she was going to help me brainstorm on how to get Garbo to stay on the rail at canter. I started riding Garbo in the arena and Maraschino was in the paddock alongside.


As soon as we started cantering Jool's dog must have peeked out along the end of where Maraschino was, and gave him a fright so Maraschino started jumping, bucking (while we were cantering) and basically getting a bit right brain.


So Michelle did a bit of work with him online - he over-reacted at first to the downwards transition... as you can see... but soon after that he was trotting around nicely.



I was working on follow the rail and trot/walk/trot/canter transitions with Garbo.
It was very hot and he got tired quite quickly. But he tried hard.



Then Michelle hopped on Maraschino and we had a nice walk round the arena rail together. So Maraschino ended up doing something anyways!

Then Michelle had a ride on Garbo and gave me some ideas for strengthening and straightening his canter the rail - then she cantered him round the outside of the race - the one I am hoping to trot/canter him round soon. He tried to jump over the areas of long grass with his head down so I am kind of pleased it wasn't me for the first time LOL.

After that he was very very hot so it was bath time for both.


They both loaded impeccably!

No comments: