Friday, September 7, 2007

Sideways without a fence

Sideways was always an issue for Garbo and I - and I knew it would be a major breakthrough when we could do sideways from both sides.... I was actually really surprised how quickly he got sideways with a fence from one side so quickly. When I saw in L2 it was sideways without a fence I though holy moley - I better get practising with a fence! Couldn't ignore it anymore.

The circle game had sort of come undone on the 22ft line also lately and I had to think about being more subtle as he really only seems to need subtle aids - any more than Phase 1 he gets unconfident and takes it personally....

Well -here's what I tried today..... and it worked!

1. Friendly in between circles but I did lots like rubbing all over, finding itchy spots - so kind of rewards... and stayed away from Zone One (didn't just pat his head) - I stood back by his wither and he seemed to relax heaps quicker - even snorted heaps

2. I added a jump on one side of the circle (yeehaa)... he had lots of fun

3. I upped to phase 2 after a long phase one for the send and added more energy

4. I looked out of the corner of my eye and listened while looking down for him to come in behind me on the circle and I just waved the savvy string in his direction and he kept going - AND he didn't come in on top of me on the bring in

5. added some poles in a line on the ground for the sideways without a fence and every time he made a few good steps I took him over to the side of the arena for some dandelions - he loved that - and OMG - sideways without a fence - we did it today!!!

Oh - Garbo figured out what happens before what happens happens, some more today - I was yo-yoing him back to start the circle game and he just started circling!

I love my pony!!

No comments: