Saturday, March 22, 2008

13th day

Poor Garbo has been a paddock ornament apart from about two play sessions in the last 13 days. Yes, almost two weeks since we have had a nice day together and a ride.

So decided today was a day to take a day off from painting fence posts and spraying weeds up at the farm and it was a horse day!

We headed off to Royal Oak and first of all I let him loose into the paddock which Scribble and Maraschino are in (his new paddock mates at our place)... to let them have a little run around and a play. Well it was all go as you can see...








Once introductions were out of the way "good to see you again old mate" and all that - Garbo could not decide if he should check out the paddock, or play, or both.


Garbo checked out the water trough, decided the water was crap (it is), and turned around to see he had two shadows. It was so funny. Maraschino and Scribble looked on as Garbo left his mark by rolling.... they kept looking at him like "ooooohhhh a big horse" ..


Garbo seemed more interested in the horse next door who was two years old rather than these babies which don't play!

The thing I have always loved about Garbo is that even though he is usually always the boss - he is very social. I have never seen him kick or bite another horse yet. He'll use phase one alot!


But at the end of the day they all really got on well I was really pleased.



So this is the most active they got...



After all that I took Garbo back to the stables and saddled up for a ride. My friend was riding her horse and then she stopped to help get some other people's horse loaded, which took a while. We did some walk and trot and a little canter in the arena and Garbo was cruisy as. Then we went down the back for a bit and moseyed. When I came back my friend was riding towards me and asked me if Garbo was really quiet today? I said he was.. and she said "because you don't have your helmet on!" Oh my goodness - I had completely forgotten to put it on! So we went back and I put it on. Just goes to show how relaxed I am now riding.

We went down the back and I had a trot around the bridle path and Garbo was really good. Then he headed straight for the water jump. I nearly rode him in - then I though - what if he jumps in, oh and my new Parelli girth will get wet - so I got off, took all his tack off, including his hackamore and he ran straight into the water. My friend did the same with her horse and we sat there watching them for ages.

The 2 year old was looking over from his paddock wishing he was there too - so we let him out and they all had a big run around, then ran back into the water...Garbo jumping in from the cross country end! Then they all ran out and Garbo ran up the bank and then cross country jumped off the end of it!

Talk about making up for lost time.

5 comments:

Cilla said...

marvelous videos. garbo looks really well and all three look very happy.
how confident are you these days! riding so calmly and happily, excellent. lovely to see some sunshine and blue sky.

Unknown said...

I know - I didn't think I would be that relaxed but Garbo was so chilled out. And the other horse was a Parelli horse too.
Sunshine - omg it has only rained two times this year!

Jen said...

What fun! I love the dominant head thing Garbo does at the others and how he just arches that neck. Boy he knows he is King around here, eh? :)

Absolutely gorgeous, m'dear Vicki...just divine and makes me smile so much. Thanks for sharing your horses with us!!

Hugs!
Viv

Cilla said...

yeah you are probably pretty sick of the sunshine and wish it would rain!?
its been snowing here!!!!! first time in 10 years we have had snow at this time of year.three days in a row.
of course, when i rode this eve (yes you read it right) it stopped and the sun came out. i am truly blessed! shall i do a rain dance and pray for rain for you? but maybe not while the building work goes on, eh?
xxx

Unknown said...

Yes, Viv - Garbo really does know he is boss.. but he is a passive leader which I really like.
Not aggressive.
Cilla - no rain dances till we have our water tank in please :-)