Sunday, October 21, 2007

Level 2 Clinic


Well I have decided after attending my 5th clinic that I am not a clinic kind of person!

I really don't get much out of them and like to ask my own questions without it being a 'group' question. Maybe I am introverted I dunno - but I don't imagine I will attend another.

Don't get me wrong the Parelli clinic was great, Jackie Chant was a good instructor but I feel it's down time learning stuff that I had already done myself at home. Also it was 50/50 ground/riding and I didn't feel I was ready to do that much/that level of riding since I had not really started the Level 2 riding as yet.

Anyway - Garbo was a little on edge when the whole 8 horses went into a big paddock (really windy weekend) with their humans to 'play'. For a horse that at home I have trouble getting much energy out of on the circle he was circling me on the end of the 22ft line at canter every time another horse looked like he was coming near us.

Jackie used Garbo in a couple of demos and everyone was impressed with his draw and his bring back - I have always had more trouble getting him to go away from me.

So - Jackie worked on some dominance issues with him, and we worked on them too - ie not crowding me on the bring back.

Jackie had him going sideways along a fence at trot which I was quite impressed with - didn't know Garbo had it in him to be honest!

My one criticism of Jackie would be that she 'does' alot herself, with your horse, and is not that good at telling you what to do 'while' you are doing it. She's more of a 'watch me and I'll show you' person - which I find is not the best way of learning for me personally. I have to be able to 'do' it for myself - more than once, for it to stick.

But - I picked up some good tips and met some other people doing Parelli which was a nice change. Everyone was pretty friendly.

This piccy is of Garbo in his yard at the clinic checking things out at lunch time.

No comments: